Monday 5 February 2018

Book Review: Liar Liar by M.J. Arlidge



Liar Liar

by

M.J. Arlidge

If you have read my blogs before you will know that the DI Helen Grace series is one of my favourites to come along in a long time. Liar Liar is book 4 in the series. Both my wife and I love this series, but could the author keep up with the great storylines or will they start to fall? I tried to not get my hopes up too much before reading.

"This series gets better and better each book. A must for all thriller fans"

Precis (taken from the cover):

In the dead of night, three raging fires light up the city skies. It's more than a tragic coincidence. For DI Helen Grace the flames announce the arrival of an evil she has never encountered before.

Because this is no firestarter seeking sick thrills, but something more chilling: a series of careful, calculating acts of murder.

But why were the victims chosen? What's driving the killer? And who will be next?

A powder keg of fear, suspicion and dread has been laid. Now all it needs is a spark to set it off . . .


Review:

As said before I tried not to get my hopes up with this book. I mean the previous three books were amazing and sometimes you get a book in a series that you feel let down by. It did not take me long though to calm down and relax as I got stuck into the action of a DI Helen Grace novel. The story was completely different from the previous books but also felt at home with this character.. If that makes sense? Not only was this book dark and chilling like the previous three books, you also got to carry on with the lives of the police detectives you have found to love, or hate. I guess you could read this as a stand alone thriller but it would make more sense if you had read the previous ones.  The words just leapt from the pages which Mr Arlidge has a knack for and you got so engrossed in the story that real life does not matter any more. My wife read this book in three days and I read this in six. I may not be a machine when it comes to reading books but I was really proud of myself for reading it in six days.

The story was original and quite upsetting in places I found, but this is why it was such a good read. The thing is, that you think this book is over but if there is still one more page to go then think again. Most previous books in the series has left something dangling in the air meaning that you are desperate to read the next.

The characters again were greatly written, a mixture of old ones and new. The victims and their families you really got to feel their pain and as for the "baddy" well it could have been anyone. Every so often a little tease to get you thinking ahh it must be them.

Was there anything I did not like about this book? Well, yes. It ended. That may sound a bit corny but it's true. I am unable to pick fault with this one. Who knows though as I read further books in the series I will be so nice.

I scored this book 5 out of 5. You my have guessed that already though. If you are a fan of thrillers then I fully recommend you give this series a read starting with the first book Eeny Meeny. It is set in the city of Southampton on the south coast of England and is really different from the ones you get set in London or Manchester.

Have you read this book? what did you think? do you agree with me or not? are you a fan or not a fan of DI Helen Grace? Let me know, I would love to hear what other readers think.

Speak soon,

CBailey31

No comments:

Post a Comment