Saturday 17 February 2018

Book Review: The Intruder by P.S Hogan




The Intruder

by

P.S Hogan

I have been sent a proof copy of The intruder by P.S Hogan from Rosie Margesson at Penguin Random House for an honest read and review. A massive thanks goes to Rosie for this. The Intruder is out on Paper Back on May 31st 2018. This is my 1st novel by P.S Hogan that I have read, so I went in with an open mind and had no clue of the style of writing.

"A slow burner with a great storyline, that will make you want to change your locks straight away"

Precis (taken from the cover):

He has the key to hundreds of houses.
Maybe even to yours.
William Heming is an estate agent. He’s kept a copy of every key to every house he’s ever sold. Sometimes he visits them. He lets himself in – quietly, carefully – to see who lives there now, what they’re like, what they’ve been doing.
But what will happen when he gets caught?
Review:

When I read what this book was about I was really excited. I have not read anything along these lines before and wanted to get straight in. The beginning of the book sets out who the main character is and his history. I found this a bit slow to be honest. The first 50 pages were spent doing this, which normally I would not have a problem with but the book only has 281 pages so a big chunk is used setting the scene. I believe a lot of it could have been reduced.

After this though the story started to pick up and you got excited to carry on reading. The pages started to turn a lot faster as you got deeper into the story and there were plenty of twist and turns along the way. Most of them I did not see coming at all, which I really like when reading. Around half way through the book the biggest twist came ( I can't say sorry) and it made me sit up straighter and check the time, ignoring the fact I had to be up early. This opened your brain to all sorts of what if's, as you try and put together the story. Overall I liked the story, It was really original but also came with the normal love interest & bitter rival to get the jealous gene kicking in. An estate agent who has keys to every house he has sold makes you want to change your locks straight away. What if there are people like this in real life? you never know.....

The other characters in the book were greatly written and enjoyable to read about. The book is narrated by the main character William Heming, but involves a whole host of other people. A lot of these characters you could relate too and you probably know people like this in real life.

The ending I found a little annoying as I thought it just....  fizzled out. It was not the worst ending, but it was not the best either. This along with the beginning changed it from a great book to a good book in my opinion.

I scored this book a 3 out of 5. I found this tough to score in the end. I wanted to give it a higher one, because I do love the storyline but the beginning and ending knocked off a few points for me. Will I read another book by P.S Hogan? Yes I would, I have not been put off by this at all. Remember this is out in paper back on May 31st, but you can get the ebook now..

Has anyone else read this book yet? What do you think? Do you agree with me or not? I would love to know..

Speak soon,

CBailey31

No comments:

Post a Comment