Sunday 26 August 2018

Book Review: Cross Her Heart by Sarah Pinborough



Cross Her Heart

by

Sarah Pinborough

This book, I was always going to read. I read Behind Her Eyes by Sarah Pinborough and absolutely loved it, so it was a case of when rather that would I... I also could not wait for the paperback so got the hardback version on one of my frequent trips to the bookshop.

"An dark and sometimes evil story which grips you and leaves you wanting more"

Blurb:

Someone is living a lie... But who?

Is it Lisa?
Haunted by a tragic past, all Lisa wants is a quiet life with her daughter, Ava. And when she meets a new man, things seem to be falling into place. But Lisa is hiding a secret so momentous it could shatter her entire world...

Is it Ava?
When sixteen year old Ava saves a young boy's life, she becomes a local hero. But never in a millions years could she have anticipated the fallout of her actions...

Is it Marilyn?
Marilyn has the perfect life. Her husband, her job, her house - she seems to have it all. But she could never admit to her best friend Lisa the lies she tells herself to get through the day...

One moment will change these three women's lives forever. And the secrets they've been keeping could destroy them all.

Review:

Sometimes when you love a book so much, there is always that worry that when it comes to the next book the author has written it will be a let down. How can you follow a book up with something as good or if not better?? This has happened to me in the past and going into this book, it was my biggest fear. Thankfully though I was not let down as I absolutely loved this book and would even go to say it was better than Behind Her Eyes. From the very off you were sucked in and you just had to keep reading. The story flicked between the three main characters Lisa, Ava & Marilyn which I really liked as you followed the story from three different angles. But also, all three of them had big secrets which you were desperate to find out about. The chapters were short which helped with the pace of the book and there were plenty of "just one more chapter" moments meaning I went to work the next day very tired. I read this book in less than a week which is really quick for me and normally means that I have really enjoyed it.

This story has a very dark tale and I am sure a few people could find it upsetting. I however could not get enough of it and found that the evilness made the story better. I do wonder sometimes though what this says about me in general. 

The characters I found were also brilliantly written, not just the three main characters but all the supporting characters as well. I loved the fact that at one point I did not trust any of them and I felt that they all had something to hide. This was why I changed my mind so many times throughout the book as to how I thought this was going to end. 

Was there anything I did not like about this book? Nope, nothing at all.

I scored this book a 5 out of 5. It was amazing and like I said earlier I thought it was even better than Behind Her Eyes which I also loved. If you love thrillers like I do then I fully recommend you read this book.

Have you read this book? What do you think? Do you agree with me or not? I would love to know..

Speak soon,

CBailey31


2 comments: