Thursday 18 January 2018

Book Review: Mistress by James Patterson & David Ellis




Mistress

by

James Patterson & David Ellis

Mistress, funnily enough was a book bought for me by my wife. This has been on my TBR shelf for a while. If you have read my blog before you will know I am a huge fan of James Patterson books especially The Women's Murder Club series. James Patterson books were what got me into reading and I am always thankful for that. 

"An amazing thriller set in America's capital. Political cover up's and murder. Great stuff"

PrĂ©cis (taken from the cover):

As Ben Casper watches his best friend plummet from her sixth-floor apartment balcony, he realises his life is about to change. Diana had no reason to kill herself, she had to have been pushed.

Diana worked for the CIA, so the investigation into her death is kept tightly under wraps. But Ben is a political journalist, and can feel that something isn’t right.

Ben starts investigating for himself and soon discovers Diana was leading a double life he knew nothing about. But when more people involved die in questionable circumstances, it’s clear that someone doesn’t want the truth to be uncovered. And unless Ben drops his investigation, he could be next…

Review:

I have been thinking back and it must have been at least 4 years since I last read a stand alone thriller from James Patterson. I seem to have been reading a lot less of his books and if I do it is normally apart of a series. This one is the first I have read where he has wrote along with David Ellis. 

I don't know what it is about Government conspiracies, lies & murder that gets me all excited but it does, whether it is in book form or film/TV. This story is set in America's capital Washington DC and before I started I was really hoping for a great read. I was not disappointed... The book is narrated by a political journalist called Ben Casper who after seeing his best friend die, is unable to let the authorities do their jobs. I really liked the main character Ben, I felt he was greatly written and you really wanted him to get done what needed to get done. The pages like most James Patterson books turned themselves at a super fast rate. There is something really pleasing about saying "oh go on just one more chapter" before you realise it is 2am and you have to be up in 5 hours. For me it's the sign of great story telling. This book had everything I wished it had from cover ups, lies, murder, scandals and the war between the government and the press that we see every day in most countries. As much as I like James Patterson books this is one of the best ones I have read in a long time. 

The other characters in the book have their place in the story and are also written really well. It would not be Washington DC if you did not trust any of them. A lot of them were very mysterious and as the book went on you felt like everyone could turn at any point. 

Was there anything I did not like about this book??? Not really. I thought it was cracking. Once I finish a book I also take a look on different websites, mainly Goodreads to see what other people are saying about the book you have read and there appears to be a lot that are not a fan of this. I find this quite strange but then again that is what is great about books. Everyone has different opinions on what is great and what is bad. It also makes discussions a lot more interesting. Life as they say would be very boring if we all like the same things.

I scored this book a 5 out of 5. Loved it and there is a part of me that hopes James & David write another book using Ben Casper as the main character.  I would recommend this book to anyone who loves James Patterson books or loves a good conspiracy.

Has anyone else read this book? what do you guys think? do you agree with me or not? I would love to know. 

Speak soon,

CBailey31

No comments:

Post a Comment