Sunday 21 February 2016

Book Review: Eeny Meeny by M.J. Arlidge

 
Eeny Meeny
 
by
 
M.J. Arlidge
 
I was walking around my local bookshop one Saturday and thought I would have a little change. I set myself a task to find a new series of books by an author I had never read before. About 90 minutes later and the covers of around 50 books read I chose Eeny Meeny by M.J. Arlidge. Why this one? Well it sounded really good,  plus I thought the cover kind of looked cool. I know, I know,  never judge a book by its cover but sometimes we have to take risks!
 
"A debut thriller - Dark, fast paced and action packed" 
 
Précis (taken from the cover):
 
The girl emerged from the woods, barely alive. Her story was beyond belief. But it was true. Every dreadful word of it.
 
Days later, another desperate escapee is found - and a patter is emerging. Pairs of victims are being abducted. Imprisoned then faced with a terrible choice: Kill or be killed. Would you rather lose your life or lose your mind?
 
Detective Inspector Helen Grace has faced down her own demons on her rise to the top. As she leads the investigation to hunt down this unseen monster, she learns that it may be the survivors - living calling cards - who hold the key to the case...... And unless she succeeds, more innocents will die....
 
Review:
 
This book gets straight into the action. In the first paragraph, someone is already about to die. I was hooked there and then. No scene setting, no build up just boom, there you are. Before I knew it, I was already 50 pages in.
 
One of the best things about this book for me is the area of the UK in which it is set; Southampton. A city on the south coast of England for those that don't know. It is a different city and refreshing change from London, Manchester or Glasgow which we most commonly have in books set here in the UK. Don't get me wrong, I love those cities, especially London as it is one of my favourite and most frequently visited, but Southampton is all new for me to explore as the story progresses.
 
The plot line in this book is cracking and really original. Nothing like I have ever read or even watched on TV. A serial killer who compels the victims do the killing makes parts of this book very dark. The author also introduces twists which you just don't expect. I like how the book is written, leaving each chapter on a mind tingling thought, that only gives you one choice - read on.
 
Detective Inspector (DI) Helen Grace is the protagonist in this book. She is an extremely powerful, yet somewhat mysterious woman who has worked hard to get where she is. She kicks ass and refuse to take any crap. However, she is tormented by her own personal demons, which adds another layer to her persona. I really like Helen as a character and she is up there as one of my favourites. I can't wait to follow her in future books.
 
The other characters are also brilliantly written. The police detectives actually feel like real people as they have their own problems at home, which in some books you never really hear about so you are able to relate to them. Parts of the story with them are really sad as well.
 
Is there anything I did not like about this book? Nope, nothing at all. I thought it was brilliant -  I loved it. And to think it was a debut thriller as well, makes it even better. It was dark, fast paced and action packed.
 
Score:
 
Even before I finished this book it was a 5 out of 5. The following week I went to buy the next two books in the series. The Doll's House & Pop Goes the Weasel. I can't wait to read those. I mentioned this book to my friend Keely and she loved it as well, she read the next three books straight after.
 
I would love to know what other people think that have read this book as well. Do you agree with me or not? Let me know, I would love to find out.
 
Speak soon
 
CBailey31
 
   

No comments:

Post a Comment