Friday 11 May 2018

Book Review: The Woman in the Window by A.J. Finn



The Woman in the Window

by

A.J. Finn

This book was getting so much attention on social media, that when it came out I had to go and buy. I was really looking forward to reading this that it went straight to the top of my TBR pile. This was A.J. Finn's debut novel so as to how it was going to be written I had no clue.

" A great storyline which makes you wonder what goes on in your neighbours house"

Blurb:

It's been ten long months since Anna Fox last left her home. Ten months during which she has haunted the rooms of her old New York house like a ghost, lost in her memories, too terrified to step outside.

Anna's lifeline to the real world is her window, where she sits day after day, watching her neighbours. When the Russell's move in, Anna is instantly drawn to them. A picture-perfect family of three, they are an echo of the life that was once hers.

But one evening, a frenzied scream rips across the silence, and Anna witnesses something no one was supposed to see. Now she must do everything she can to uncover the truth about what really happened. But even if she does, will anyone believe her? And can she even trust herself?

Review:

I actually struggled to get into this book, I started to worry that it would be a big let down. I found it just a bit slow and nothing really happened for the first 70 pages or so. I am quite patient with most things in life including books that do not get me gripped. I mean I know a few people who would probably have given up on this one, but I have to finish the book even if it does not take my fancy.

Thankfully after the first 70 pages it started to get a bit exciting. The "frenzied scream" as described on the cover takes place and the story starts to flow so much quicker. Each chapter was left with questions that you needed answering and tempted you to carry on reading, even if you had other things to do. There was another little patch of where nothing happens about 3/4 of the way through the book but it was not as long as the start. The story then came to a crashing end with twists and turns that I did not see coming at all.  

The characters in the book were interesting to follow, Anna the main character had problems which were not only new to me but very interesting to read about. I felt for her not being able to go outside and put myself in her shoes to see what life would be like, like that. Anna was also the best nosey neighbour. Police sometimes say that a nosey neighbour is the police's best friend, but in this book, this what not the case. As the book went on you actually questioned whether you trusted her or not, or was she making everything up. All other characters in the book you could not trust at all. You knew someone was hiding something but had no clue which one. This I liked as it made the book so much more interesting.

Overall I did enjoy this book but I was not as happy as I was expecting to be. I think I preferred the storyline more to the actually book itself. The start and the bits in-between that were slow took a little of the enjoyment from it. I believe that they will be turning this book into a film and for once I think that this would really help my enjoyment of it. 

I scored this book a 3 out of 5. After checking Goodreads and other sites there is a lot of people who really loved it and there are so many 5 stars for this book. I may have to try it again some day to see if it was just me at that time. I would definitely read another A.J. Finn book though...

Have you read this book? what do you think? do you agree with me or not? let me know....

Speak soon,

CBailey31

No comments:

Post a Comment