Sunday 16 November 2014

Book Review: Before I Go To Sleep by SJ Watson

 
Before I Go To Sleep
By
SJ Watson
 
As most of you know, Before I Go To Sleep has just been made into a movie staring Nicole Kidman, Colin Firth & Mark Strong but I wanted to try the book first. I  read great reviews on this book. Plus, my friends Keely & Joanne raved about it so I went to pick up a copy. I was happy to find a copy with a non movie cover as well which I prefer.
 
This Crime thriller is SJ Watson's debut novel and is about a women called Christine who loses her memory every time she goes to sleep. Each morning she wakes and all is lost including her identity, her past and everyone she loves. There is only one person she can trust, but is that person telling her only half the story?
 
The book starts with a little background - who Christine is and how she got into this situation. Then a visit from a Doctor who is seeing her in secret to try and make her better is where the real story begins. He suggests that she write and keep a journal about everything she does that day so she can read the following day to try and help her remember things. The story is then written and told from Christine's journal and all the things she has learned that day and the following weeks.
 
Right from the off you know something is wrong but you can't put a finger on it. Each chapter you pick up a little bit extra, but not too much as you learn more and more about Christine's life. This was enough to keep your mind guessing and giving you the urge to read on. This was what I like most about the book how it teased you into carrying on even if you were too tired or had something else to do.
 
When I read books my mind wonders as to what will happen. This book I thought I had it right, then I changed it, and then I changed it again, and again. I'm convinced I had wrote at least 15-20 endings to this book -  surely one would be right?
 
The last quarter of this book flew by. The story built up and up as though it was a balloon being blown up ready to pop. When it did it was like wow...... twist after twist after twist. I admittedly did get one of them right (only with 70 pages left) but there were 2 or 3 more that even after all my endings were still not right.
 
The book only had a few characters. Christine, her husband Ben, Dr Nash & an old friend Claire being the main ones. This I loved as you were able to concentrate all your efforts on these people.
 
Was there anything I didn't like about this book? Nope, not really
 
I scored this book 5 out of 5. As debut novels go this is up there as one of the best. SJ Watson's 2nd novel is out in February 2015 and I can't wait to read it. I fully recommend you read this book if you are into crime/mystery books. I believe you will enjoy it.
 
I would love to know what other people think. Have you read the book? Have you seen the movie? Or done both? Please leave your comments below.
 
Speak Soon
 
CBailey31
 


No comments:

Post a Comment