Friday 11 December 2015

Book Review: Whatever you Love by Louise Doughty

 
Whatever you Love
by
Louise Doughty
 
This book was bought for me by my wife last Christmas. I finally managed to get it read in time for this Christmas... Just. This is my second Louise Doughty book I have read after reading Apple Tree Yard last year.
 
Laura's daughter Betty is nine and has just been killed in a hit and run incident. Her life is ruined. Laura's grief sets off a very painful memory about her divorce from Betty's father David. Things get worse when Betty's death is ruled an accident and Laura decides the only thing to do is to get her own revenge on the monster that did this. Is this the last thing Laura will ever do?
 
This book is written in two parts. Before the accident and after the accident. It then flicked between the two. I really like how this was done because you learned all about Laura, how she met her husband and what her life was like before Betty came alone. Louise has a great way of sucking you into the story from the off. There is just enough on each page to keep your mind guessing and to get you to want more. This made the book a real page turner for me. Sometimes you get books that just don't flow but this one did.
 
The story in it's self is very dark. Death of a child is up there as one of the worst you can get. Laura is a character you really feel for, for what she has gone through, but unless you have been through this personally you will never know what goes on in someone's mind.
 
The characters in this book were great. Laura & David were the two main ones and the story really centred around them. This gave a feel that put you there with them. The other characters were supporting actors in a way. This was not a bad thing though as I believe the story did not need them to have any bigger parts.
 
I loved this book... That is until the end. For me I'm afraid it just did not feel right. The ending did not live up to what I was expecting. Don't get me wrong it was not a really bad ending, I was a bit "oh" maybe it is because when you read something that is so good you build your hopes up for something bigger.
 
I scored this book a 4 out of 5. The ending for me stopped this from being a 5, but it is a great book. If you are into thrillers, psychological thrillers & mysteries then I believe you will love this book.
 
I would like to know what everyone else thinks that has read this book? do you agree with me or not? Let me know.
 
Speak soon
 
CBailey31
 


No comments:

Post a Comment