Sunday 22 February 2015

Book Review: Girl in the Dark by Anna Lyndsey (Not published until 12 March 2015)

 
Girl in the Dark
by
Anna Lyndsey
 
Firstly I would just like to say a big thank you to Waterstones for sending me this pre published book to read and review for their website www.waterstones.com This book will be published on 12 March 2015.
 
Imagine closing your eyes really tight. Like really tight so its so dark you can't see anything. Now imagine if you should open just one of your eyes maybe a milometer so there is just a small amount of light. Imagine if this little amount of light can make your skin burn and your body be in so much pain you can't bare it any more. Imagine going months at a time like this 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Can you imagine? no....Well meet Anna Lyndsey. Anna suffers from "photo sensitive seborrhoeic dermatitis" a rare disorder that means for her to survive she has to live in a blacked out room for months at a time during the worst parts with no light, no TV, no computer, no mobile phone (yes kids no mobile phone).
 
This book is Anna's story. She tells us how she went from being a healthy women to the first signs of her diagnosis to surviving during the worst parts and how she managed to fight the disorder to make things better.
 
I really enjoyed this book. It was well written. It was honest, had great humour and sometimes very dark realities about living with a disorder like this. 
 
I love how Anna talks about her future husband. 99 out of 100 men would have walked away, but not Pete. Its great to read how their relationship works and how important it is for Anna to have someone like that in her life.
 
Whilst reading this book it made you realise how lucky we are sometimes. I mean most humans like to moan about the silliest of things. "My head hurts", "I have a bad cough", "I feel sick". Well give me a bad head any day of the week rather than what Anna has to put up with. 
 
This book is such an interesting read. Would I have bought this in the shop if I had not been sent it to read? maybe not but that is my goal for this year. I'm going to try and read all sorts of genres by authors I would never normally even look at.
 
If I had to criticise this book in any way, maybe it was losing track of what part of the year you were at and what year you were in. At the start of the book it had the month and year but then from half way nothing was mentioned.
 
I scored this book a 4 out of 5. If you find stories like this interesting then I would fully recommend this or if you fancy trying something different to read then give it a go.
 
I would love to know what other people think who have read this book. Let me know if you agree or not.
 
Speak soon
 
CBailey31

No comments:

Post a Comment