Wednesday 26 March 2014

Book Review: Apple Tree Yard by Louise Doughty


Apple Tree Yard
by
Louise Doughty
 

This is my first book review, I hope it helps...

I first saw this book as January book of the month in Richard & Judy's book club in WH Smith and was intrigued and wanted to find out more. I searched online and liked the sound of the reviews people had posted. I was round my brother Tom and sister in-law Kathy's house one Sunday and found Kathy had a copy so I borrowed hers to read. This was my first novel by Louise Doughty I had read.

When you read the back of the book to see what the story is about it is very short and mysterious which I loved. It was a little teaser that had my mind racing already as to what could happen and I had not even read the 1st page. Was it a murder mystery, Government conspiracy, Drug/gang related or a good old fashioned Alien invasion (A bit far fetched I know but I loved the X-Files)

The lead character is Yvonne Carmichael a scientist from London and the style of the novel was her telling the story to the male lead which is another first for me reading wise and I really like how it was written. I found Louise set the scene brilliantly throughout the book. This put me on the streets of London with the characters which when I'm in my little reading zone my warped mind allows me to do. Like the back cover of the book the story telling was kept very mysterious and kept you wanting more, you knew that something else was going to happen and before you knew it another 50 pages had been read. About half way through the book there was a major twist in the story which I did not see coming which had me gasping out loud. This new twist just sped up the reading of this story in a very chilling addictive way.

Sadly I kind of guessed the next twist based on the how the story was going (maybe because of the TV shows I watch or books I read) but I can see a lot of people not working it out. This for me is when the book lost some of its mojo. Don't get me wrong it was still a good read and had me fascinated all the way to the end maybe because I loved the first 3/4 so much.

I loved that the number of characters in the book was kept short and that you did not find out the name of the male lead till 3/4 of the way through. This kept the story very personnel and you could try and put yourself in the shoes of each and everyone. I'm sure like most people who have read this book I have used an internet search engine maps section to see where Apple Tree Yard is in London and plan on paying it a visit next time I'm there. 

I scored this book 4 out of 5 because for me the last 1/4 lost it that final point. However it was a great read overall. I would recommend you all give it a go and see for yourself. Will I read another Louise Doughty book?? Yes I will and I look forward to doing so. I would like to know what everyone else thought about the book whether they agree or disagree with my opinion. Let me Know your wonderful thoughts?

Speak soon

CBailey31

No comments:

Post a Comment